Here is a special gift for you: a recipe without a long story to preface.
I’ve shared this recipe before that included a nice and thorough story of how this recipe (and food in general) changed my health and life forever. If you would like to read that story head to this link>>>>>>>>>here! Otherwise, enjoy this simple post full of medicine. Cheers!
TOOLS YOU WILL NEED FOR THIS RECIPE:
- Mason Jar with Lid (1 qt works well, but any sized jar you have is fine. Adjust recipe accordingly. Perfection is not necessary.
- Grater (Just a knife will work fine, but if you prefer grating, go for it!)
- Cutting Board
- Wax Paper
- Tape + Marker
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED FOR THIS RECIPE:
- Garlic, 1/4 cup
- Onion, 1/2 cup
- Ginger, 1/4 cup
- Horseradish, 1/4 cup (A great spot to find an ingredient such as this is at Whole Foods)
- (Fresh) Turmeric, 1/4 cup
- Rosemary (a sprig or two)
- Thyme (a sprig or two)
- Parsley (1 little handful, or however much can fit into this jar)
- Any herb that calls to you, really
- 15 Whole peppercorns
- Habanero pepper (1)
- Jar of Apple Cider Vinegar, enough to fill the mason jar and cover the ingredients ( I enjoy BRAGG)
- Lemon (1)
- Orange (1)
(FEEL FREE TO ADD OR OMIT ANY INGREDIENTS AS IT FEELS RIGHT TO YOU)
THE PROCESS: A MEDITATION, HONEY!
1. (Thoroughly) wash and finely chop (or grate) the garlic, onion, ginger, horseradish, turmeric. You can peel these ingredients if you would like, or properly scrub them and keep the skin. It’s your call.
2. Cut pepper in half.
3. Thinly Slice and half (or quarter) the lemon and orange.
4. Sanitize the mason jar and lid. I like to do so by placing them in boiling water for 30 seconds, but do this however you see fit.
5. Fill jar with chopped ingredients, herbs, and peppercorns. It can be a tight fit.
6. Pour apple cider vinegar over ingredients. Fill to the top of jar, being sure to completely cover ingredients.
7. Cover mouth of jar with wax paper.
8. Seal mason jar with lid.
9. Label with date of creation. (It will need a little time and it can be easy to forget the date that the concoction was made)
10. Store in cool dark place.
11.Agitate jar once a day, or whenever you remember to do so. If you miss some days or several, it is not a big deal. This is supposed to be fun and relaxing, remember?
12. Wait 3-4 weeks and decant.
And there you have it! Fire cider!
HOW TO STORE AND ENJOY FIRE CIDER!
I like to store my fire cider in a jar in the fridge. Usually I will consume a 1-ounce shot, of the liquid when I am feeling under the weather. Some folks with pour it into hot water and add honey. It is quite the spicy concoction and it will surely wake you up. You can also enjoy a shot of this whenever it calls to you or feels right.
Enjoy this process and this warming goodness.
(I refer to this recipe as medicine, because I believe that food is medicine. Of course, this is not a replacement for medical help. If you are in need of medical assistance, seek out medical help.)